8/08/2009

Going from bad to worse...

I had been working on stretches and exercises hoping the pain would go away. I knew deep down that it really wasn't a muscle or fairly simple issue that time would heal, but that's not to say that I didn't want it to be. Finally I went to my Dr. and he suggested a MRI. That was just wonderful; being placed into a thumping tube sock to find out that I had 6 problems within a 2"-3" area in my lower back. Between L4/L5 the disc is bulging on both sides. The S1 disc has a anterior herniation (that facing out in medical terminology - I thought it was forward). There is arthritis build up in that general area, and the scar tissue is pressing down on all of it. As if that were not enough, there is also foraminal narrowing (the canal the nerve is encased in is clamping down on the sciatica. Yay me!!

I then started receiving epidurals for the problems, hoping that would alleviate the issues. I had 5 sets of them, 10 total. The only thing I got rid of was a lot of money. They would help for a while but the pain would eventually return, sometimes with a vengeance. I could tell it was getting worse too. Some days I couldn't stand, sit, lay, walk or do anything for more than a few minutes without the pain becoming unbearable. One day, during a routine event, my supervisor asked a very simple question, and I snapped at him. Harsh! You just don't do that. I knew then it was only a matter of time I would have to do something about this. Looked like surgery again!

One Dr. wanted me to go to the traditional surgeon that did the previous op. He did a good job but this was becoming more serious than the simple procedure from before. I mean they were talking about spinal fusion and rods/clamps...no, not right now please & thank you.

That is when Jennifer started looking online, researching spinal fusion procedures and looking at alternatives. LSI is cutting edge, we will be headed down next week to Tampa FL. This is really cutting edge technology and science. I won't even be put under while they operate. Weird, but cool. I will also walk out the same day.

But before all that came the arrangements for the boys, travel and hotel, time out of work, etc... I have to say that we have some wonderful friends and I work with great people. I am glad to finally be on the cusp of seeing relief but not without some trepidation. There is just a lot going on to orchestrate this event, so it does come with its additional stress, but His will is more than enough to get us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment