8/07/2009

The Other Side...Alan's Blog



I am going to have surgery (again) on my lower back. Nearly five years ago I had a laminectomy and for the most part it was successful. After a while I was able to return to life as normal. No actually life was, physically, better than normal. Due to the fact that for years I had a back problem that I ignored and pushed to the back of my mind (no poor pun intended). For about a year (a full year ago now) I had progressed to the point where I had gotten into great shape, was playing basketball with the "yung-uns" and keeping up, swimming and running. Not to mention actually being able to help out around the house, to which my adorable wife was extremely grateful, and play with my two wonderful sons.
I returned to the painful side of life on mid July Saturday when I played a pickup game of b-ball and went swimming in the latter part of the afternoon. I mowed the lawn and slowly but surely I noticed an all too familiar feeling about to return. I wanted to deny it sooo badly, knowing what I had dealt with before, I was praying I just pulled a muscle or something far less that what I knew it was. I went on about two months before the pain grew to the point of, "well, guess I better go to the doctor. NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!" You know, like us guys, going to the Dr's office is like putting together something, we are going to do it our way, like not reading the directions or something before we do it wrong and say; "hmph, where's the instructions, quietly under our breath." Anyway, I have been fighting and trying to get better without going under the knife again, and needless to say to no avail. That was until my brilliant wife found the Laser Spine Institute, http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/, or LSI.

No comments:

Post a Comment